Sunday, March 9, 2008

A vote and a car

Yesterday I woke up excited, at the fact that I'll be going to vote in the general elections. This will be the first time I'm doing it. I understand the responsibility that comes with it and I thought about it's implications. I thought to myself, "I want to be heard! It maybe one little vote but it counts." So off I went to SK Bukit Lanjan.

Arriving there with ease and without any commotion (relatively calm and quiet actually), I walked right into the school compound and casted my votes into the ballot box. I was staring into the transparent ballot boxes and thought to myself, "Wow, this is the thing that will decide the future of this country." As that little piece of paper dropped into the box, joining the other hundred or so, I can't help but feel a little proud of what I've done.

And herein lies the end of meaningful contemplation for the next few hours...because it's Fuzzy's frenzy, once more.

Fuzzy, just like me, wanted to make a difference by voting. But the problem is, she's just lazy enough not to register herself to vote. So while having dinner on the eve of election day, I told her to check the electoral roll online. You'll never know...you may find your name in there maybe. And still she did not...until the morning after of course. Then it hit her...right in front of her face, staring at her from the laptop screen was her name and voting station info. She was so excited, she worked up a frenzy, all excited at the fact that she can finally fulfill her duty as a voter! What created the frenzy was 1) She didn't even know she was registered. 2) She's registered in LEMBAH PANTAI!!...where Shahrizat and Nurul Izzah is contesting. Lagi lah minah kecoh!

So off we went to cast her vote. She was so worked up, she had a child-like exurberance about the whole affair. And just like me, she too had made her voice heard. Sempat lagi minah ni suruh aku ambik gambar of the historic event!

And then, in all her new found feeedom and excitement, she went and bought a new car!


That's what I call liberating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The winds of changes brings a car..... Not bad.Not bad indeed.